Researchers are the heart of our firm, and they work on all aspects of our research studies, including research design and sampling; fielding and data collection; and analyzing, writing, and co-presenting the final report. We are seeking a Researcher with a great mix of right- and left-brain skills: advanced data fielding and analysis (in both quantitative and qualitative forms) coupled with a proven ability for understanding and communicating the implications of that data to a client audience. The ideal candidate will have experience in research or consulting: managing clients, juggling projects, and meeting both deadlines and budgets. They will also have a demonstrated interest in the cultural field— museums, performing arts, zoos & aquariums, or any other such cultural organizations. Researchers work in collaborative teams with Project Directors on each engagement, and they work closely with Research Coordinators who help support all of the firm’s projects.
Specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Work with clients to understand their goals and objectives for research through client kickoff meetings and discussion with the Project Director, then collaboratively develop a list of project goals;
- Create and monitor project timelines;
- Design quantitative survey instruments based on client goals;
- Develop survey sampling and analytical plans;
- Design qualitative interview guides, focus group screeners, focus group guides, and ethnographic observation protocols; and
- Participate in (and sometimes lead) client meetings, such as instrument reviews, with the support of the Project Director.
- Monitor and manage recruits for focus groups and interviews in collaboration with our Research Coordinators;
- Run focus groups, conduct phone and in-person interviews and participant observations;
- Collaborate in qualitative debriefs with project team members;
- Participate in (and sometimes lead) client trainings and strategy sessions;
- Work with Research Coordinators to test survey programming, make updates to our survey software (Qualtrics) based on testing;
- Monitor and track survey launch, reminders, and response rates;
- Clean and analyze data in SPSS using syntax to run descriptive statistics, crosstabs, factor analysis, regression analysis, cluster analysis, etc.;
- Create and apply weighting schemes for quantitative data; and
- Create detailed data tables of crosstab analysis in WinCross.
- Write research reports in both bulleted and narrative text formats containing key findings, implications, and recommendations;
- Participate in the presentation of reports to clients;
- Create clear, accurate, and attractive data visualizations (charts, tables, diagrams, etc.) using Excel and PowerPoint for inclusion in our reports and presentations, training documents, etc.;
- Proofread reports by reviewing written content, formatting details, graphics, etc. to ensure accuracy and quality; and
- Review the formatting of appendix materials for reports (e.g., research protocols/instruments, detailed data tables, and open-ended responses).
The successful candidate will be highly organized, flexible, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and will need to manage and prioritize a range of different tasks. We are open to diverse academic backgrounds, including qualitative and quantitative social science disciplines and the humanities (e.g., social psychology, cognitive psychology, user experience (UX) research, market research, museum studies, public policy research, etc.)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO:
- have experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- be able to speak to pressing issues and trends in the arts & culture field;
- be able to communicate effectively with team members – both in written and verbal formats;
- have excellent capabilities with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel (including functions and formulas);
- be an experienced user of a statistical program such as SPSS, SAS, Stata, or R (we use SPSS);
- be able to write clearly and concisely, and edit and proofread others’ writing for clarity and concision; and
- fluent or native Spanish language skills are a plus, but they aren’t a job requirement.
HOURS & TRAVEL
This is a full-time, salaried position located in Chicago and will require occasional work in the evenings and weekends to meet deadlines or to conduct research. Some travel is expected for onsite data collection, client trainings, and/or presentations.
We’re offering a starting annual salary of $55,000 – $65,000, depending on experience. In addition, we offer a competitive benefits package of vacation, holidays, sick days, health insurance reimbursement, disability insurance, and profit-sharing.
Slover Linett Audience Research is a Chicago-based social research firm for the cultural sector, which we broadly define to include museums of all kinds, arts organizations, science communicators, media enterprises, and cultural funders. We use the tools of social science research and evaluation to help our clients grapple with strategic questions in a wide range of areas including programming, marketing, experience design, community engagement and inclusion, and institutional strategy. We are researchers above all, but also consultants and facilitators dedicated to pro-social change, and we’re committed to making culture more responsive, relevant, and rewarding to more people.
Please e-mail a cover letter (within the body of the e-mail) and resume to Jen Benoit-Bryan at firstname.lastname@example.org Please place “Job Application: Researcher” in the subject line of your email. In your cover letter, please address your interest in, and how you feel you qualify for, this position. We’d particularly like to hear about how you’ve worked using both quantitative and qualitative methods in the past. Applications that do not follow these instructions not be considered for this position.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling-basis. We are not seeking writing/report samples or professional references at this time. Please, no phone calls. We look forward to hearing from you.
COMMITMENT TO SOCIAL JUSTICE AND EQUITY
Slover Linett Audience Research is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected classes under the law.