Job Title: Research Coordinator
Direct Supervisor: Project Director and Research Operations Lead
Available Positions: 1
Post Date: May 7, 2021
Slover Linett Audience Research is a Chicago-based social research firm for the cultural sector, which we broadly define to include museums of all kinds, performing arts organizations, science communicators, media enterprises, and cultural funders. We use the tools of social science research, evaluation, and dialogue to help our clients grapple with strategic questions in a wide range of areas including programming, marketing, experience design, community engagement and equity, and institutional strategy. We are researchers above all, but also consultants and facilitators dedicated to pro-social change: we’re committed to helping practitioners and funders make culture more responsive, relevant, and rewarding to more people. For more information, please visit our website at sloverlinett.com.
We are seeking a Research Coordinator to support our team of social researchers and partner with our other Research Coordinator to contribute in both administrative and operational ways to the research studies and partnerships that we lead for clients in the cultural sector. The Research Coordinator will provide project support to our firm’s Researchers, Project Directors, and leadership team, and will play a wide range of roles in both qualitative and quantitative studies focusing on research-related logistics, fieldwork, report development, etc.
Specific, day-to-day responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Solicit bids from vendors (focus group facilities, recruitment firms, translation & transcription firms, and digital data-collection companies) that reflect project budgets and goals;
- Coordinate with vendors to set up focus groups, monitor interview recruitment, and manage the logistics of our qualitative research projects (including monitoring and managing the participant recruitment process to ensure that participants meet screening criteria, providing directions and parking instructions, and arranging other logistics);
- Recruit interview participants directly by conducting screening phone calls and emails, scheduling interviews in Outlook Calendars, and coordinating with project teams to distribute incentives;
- Manage the data-entry process for quantitative surveys by creating data-entry templates for freelancers and ensuring data quality by double-checking their entries and/or entering data yourself;
- Maintain firmwide internal documents to track survey response rates, incentives for participants, and focus group logistics, and help analyze these to understand trends across our projects and communicate best practices within the firm;
- Support the leadership team with proofreading and updating our templates and content for new business proposals;
- During busy periods, coordinate with Researchers to delegate tasks to our networks of freelancers on an as-needed basis.
- Assist in notetaking during qualitative interviews and local focus groups and participate in post-interview/post-focus group debrief sessions;
- Program online surveys in Decipher and manage the survey-testing process within the firm and with vendors to ensure that the survey is well-programmed and meets project goals;
- Collaborate with Researchers to launch and monitor online surveys by regularly checking data quality and tracking the number of responses received;
- Monitor and adjust data collection procedures with external data panel providers to ensure that project specifications and needs are met;
- Clean and prepare quantitative data for analysis by developing and applying syntax in SPSS, which includes removing duplicate cases, renaming variable labels and names, re-coding values, and reviewing and coding open-ended responses;
- Set up and create detailed data tables in WinCross.
- Create clear, accurate, and attractive data visualizations (charts, tables, diagrams, etc.) using Excel and PowerPoint for inclusion in our reports, dashboards, and presentations, training documents, etc.;
- Proofread reports by reviewing written content, formatting details, graphics, etc. to ensure accuracy and quality;
- Format appendix materials for reports (e.g., research protocols/instruments, detailed data tables, and open-ended responses).
The successful candidate will have all three of these core qualifications:
- extensive experience with quantitative research support (this could include tasks like database management) and comfort with quantitative data—including being familiar with or able to quickly learn SPSS and WinCross;
- a demonstrated ability to communicate richly and effectively in both written and verbal formats; and
- a demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented, flexible when priorities shift, and to multi-task, manage, and prioritize a range of different tasks in a fast-paced environment.
In addition, candidates for this position should:
- have excellent capabilities with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel (including functions and formulas);
- have an interest in data visualization (charts and graphics);
- be able to write clearly and concisely, and edit and proofread others’ writing for clarity and concision;
- be a proactive, flexible person who can shift focus with ease, possess a can-do attitude, and be extremely well-organized and detailed-oriented;
- be able to work independently and collaboratively with project teams, partners, and vendors, all of whom may have different goals and needs;
- be willing to actively participate and engage in staff meetings and work-related conversations;
- preferably be bi-lingual; fluency in a second language, specifically Spanish, is a plus though not required;
- have experience working with BIPOC communities and a vested interest in the arts becoming a more equitable space where all feel welcome.
We are open to diverse educational backgrounds for this position.
This is a full-time, salaried position located in Chicago. Because of COVID-19, we are all working remotely but hope to return to the office in late-summer/early Fall 2021 (timing TBD). Although hours can be somewhat flexible, we work during regular business hours (Central Time) and occasionally in the evenings or on weekends as needed to meet deadlines. Some local travel is expected for onsite data collection. There may be non-local travel (approximately 1 trip/quarter) for project work, depending on clients’ needs post-pandemic.
We’re offering a starting annual salary of between $45,000–$50,000, depending on experience. In addition, we offer a competitive benefits package of vacation, holidays, unlimited sick time, parental leave, health insurance reimbursement, 401k contributions, disability insurance, and profit-sharing.
Please e-mail a cover letter (within the body of the e-mail) and resume/CV to Madeline Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org Please place “Job Application: Research Coordinator” in the subject line of your email. Applicants without this subject line will not be considered for this position. In your cover letter, please address your interest in the position and how your experience aligns with the three core qualifications for this position. In addition to sharing your educational and work experience, we’d also like to hear about you – what you are interested in, what you are passionate about, what gives you fulfillment – in order to understand you as a whole person and what you care about personally.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. We are not seeking writing samples or professional references at this time. At this time, interviews will be held remotely via videoconference or by phone. Please, no phone calls at this time. We look forward to hearing from you.
COMMITMENT TO SOCIAL JUSTICE AND EQUITY
Slover Linett is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse working environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, age, protected veteran status, parental status, arrest record status, order of protection status, or membership in other historically marginalized or excluded communities.
In order to support a safe workspace and reduce risk at the firm, Slover Linett will conduct a background check for candidates with a conditional offer of employment (not for all candidates). A conviction does not automatically mean a candidate will not be offered a job. What a candidate was convicted of, the circumstances surrounding the conviction, and how long ago the conviction occurred will all be important considerations in determining eligibility.
At this time, we are unable to sponsor work visas given the small size of our firm and the costs associated.
Because our mission is to help the cultural sector become more welcoming, relevant, representative of, and collaborative with more people and communities, we recognize that we ourselves need to do the hard work of reflection, learning, and growth in these directions as an organization. We have begun that process and are committed to it as a strategic priority; we seek colleagues both inside and outside the firm with whom we can learn and develop in these crucial areas.